FARGO, N.D. (Oct. 4, 2013) — The North Dakota Soybean Growers Association announces the 2014-2015 Secure Optimal Yield Scholarship. This $5,000 one-time scholarship award is presented to an eligible high school senior who is going to pursue Agriculture as a degree area of study at any accredited college or university. The scholarship is managed by the American Soybean Association and is made possible through a grant by BASF Corporation.
The scholarship will be presented in $2,500 increments per semester. The student must maintain successful academic progress and be in good standing with the College or University to receive the full amount of the scholarship. Candidates may apply on-line now through November 15, 2013. Final selection will be made the first week of December during the ASA Board meeting. The student will be notified prior to an official announcement made during Commodity Classic in San Antonio on February 28, 2014.
BASF sponsors the winner and one parent to attend Commodity Classic for two days to participate and receive special recognition at the ASA Awards Banquet on the Friday night of Commodity Classic. See below for specific scholarship requirements.
For more information and to apply go to:
- Applicant is a HS Senior with a GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale to apply and submit a current HS transcript.
- HS transcript can be official or unofficial but must show high school GPA scale.
- Applicant must be the child or grandchild of a current ASA member. Student’s parent or grandparent must remain a current member throughout the tenure of the student’s scholarship. Only one award per household for the duration of the life of the scholarship will be awarded.
- Applicant must plan to declare Agriculture (or discipline in the school of Agriculture) as a degree area of study at any accredited College or University of their choosing.
- Applicant must submit most recent ACT/and or SAT standardized test score.
- Applicant must achieve a college GPA of 2.5 or higher during their first semester of freshman year, and remain in good standing with the College or University to obtain the full scholarship. (GPA will be checked between semesters). Transfer credits do not apply toward the GPA requirement.
- Applicant must complete an essay of 500 words or less on the subject, “What is the future of agriculture and what role will I play in that future?”
- Applicant must provide two letters of recommendation. One from an authority figure dealing directly with the student’s academic progress such as HS Guidance Counselor, Ag teacher, Advisor, etc. and one personal recommendation letter, such as FFA advisor, pastor etc.
- Applicant must show demonstrated extra-curricular activities/leadership skills in agriculture activities.
- Applicants fill out on-line application from now through November 15, 2013 available on soygrowers.com. Eligible applicants will be scored by the below stated percentages. Scholarship winner will be selected in early December by ASA’s Membership and Corporate Relations Committee and the winner will be notified.
- The official public announcement of the winner will be made at Commodity Classic in San Antonio on February 28, 2014.
Selected Candidates Scoring
- 20% HS GPA and ACT/and or SAT standardized test score
- 20% Response to Essay Question
- 30% Extra-curricular/leadership activities related to agriculture
- 30% Two letters of recommendation. (one academic, one personal)
For more information, please contact:
Nancy Johnson, NDSGA, 701-640-5215, email@example.com
Kathie Mullen, American Soybean Association, firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-688-7692 x1302